[ale] hard drive horrors

Mike mnelson at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 26 19:47:04 EDT 2001

I've had better luck using loadlin when shuffling my Linux install amongst
various partitions.
Make a dos boot floppy, copy a kernel and the loadlin program to it and boot
the floppy. Assuming your kernel is named bzImage and the root partition is
/dev/hda2 do:

loadlin bzImage root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=3

now you can easily try booting other partitions in the event you've forgotten
where you put Linux.
After you're in, fix lilo.conf to get Linux booting, then add the "other"
entry to boot the Windows. Is it Win9x or NT on hda1? If it's NT, you may be
happier getting NT fixed first and then using NT's boot loader to boot Linux.
-M