[ale] hard drive horrors

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu Apr 26 09:35:02 EDT 2001

Look
down thru man fdisk for the part about zeroing out the first 512 bytes of the
drive so DOS doesn't freak.  That may be part of your
problem.
<SPAN
class=430252813-26042001>
-
Jeff
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Jim Philips
  [mailto:jim.philips at s1.com]Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 8:57
  AMTo: 'ale at ale.org'Subject: [ale] hard drive
  horrors
  I have been trying
  all week to move over to a new 30 gig Western Digital hard drive. All Windows
  files were copied. All Linux files were copied. I made tons of rescue disks,
  boot disks and whatever and armed myself with printed copies of how-tos on
  hard drive upgrades and lilo failures. And everything I try is
  failing.
  <SPAN
  class=737594312-26042001>
  1. made a boot
  disk with the mkbootdisk utility. This insists on booting hda3, but Linux is
  now on hda2. Editing files on this disk has no effect.
  <SPAN
  class=737594312-26042001>
  2. made a boot
  disk that copied my old /boot directory, but with updated lilo.conf and ran
  lilo on this disk, per instructions in the hard drive upgrade mini how-to.
  This disk will get so far in booting and then returns "ran out of
  input".
  <SPAN
  class=737594312-26042001>
  3. used Tom's
  root/boot disk to log in and mount hda2. I can do this fine. The lilo how-to
  says you should run lilo with the "-r" flag to chroot lilo and execute it for
  the mounted partition. This fails, because lilo can't find
  execvp.
  <SPAN
  class=737594312-26042001>
  4. tried to boot
  from an old boot disk and it causes a kernel panic.
  <SPAN
  class=737594312-26042001>
  5. in desperation,
  tried to reinstall RedHat with a minimum install, so it would run lilo and
  create a new boot disk. This gets to the "preparing to install" phase and then
  just ceases to do anything. It can clearly access the new hard drive, but it
  quits at the point mentioned.
  <SPAN
  class=737594312-26042001>
  Everything looks
  good when running fdisk in Linux. I have a Linux native partition and a swap
  partition. If I run e2fsck on the partition, it checks out fine. Windows also
  refuses to boot, because it doesn't seem to like changes made with the Linux
  version of fdisk. I ran FDISK /MBR at the DOS prompt and this just made things
  worse. I am running out of ideas and the documentation is certainly no help. I
  can still re-install the old hard drive to do repair work, but I am completely
  out of ideas.
  <SPAN
  class=737594312-26042001>
  Any