[ale] hard drive horrors

Jim Philips jim.philips at s1.com
Thu Apr 26 08:57:17 EDT 2001

I have been trying
all week to move over to a new 30 gig Western Digital hard drive. All Windows
files were copied. All Linux files were copied. I made tons of rescue disks,
boot disks and whatever and armed myself with printed copies of how-tos on hard
drive upgrades and lilo failures. And everything I try is
failing.
<SPAN
class=737594312-26042001>
1. made a boot disk
with the mkbootdisk utility. This insists on booting hda3, but Linux is now on
hda2. Editing files on this disk has no effect.
<SPAN
class=737594312-26042001>
2. made a boot disk
that copied my old /boot directory, but with updated lilo.conf and ran lilo on
this disk, per instructions in the hard drive upgrade mini how-to. This disk
will get so far in booting and then returns "ran out of
input".
<SPAN
class=737594312-26042001>
3. used Tom's
root/boot disk to log in and mount hda2. I can do this fine. The lilo how-to
says you should run lilo with the "-r" flag to chroot lilo and execute it for
the mounted partition. This fails, because lilo can't find
execvp.
<SPAN
class=737594312-26042001>
4. tried to boot
from an old boot disk and it causes a kernel panic.
<SPAN
class=737594312-26042001>
5. in desperation,
tried to reinstall RedHat with a minimum install, so it would run lilo and
create a new boot disk. This gets to the "preparing to install" phase and then
just ceases to do anything. It can clearly access the new hard drive, but it
quits at the point mentioned.
<SPAN
class=737594312-26042001>
Everything looks
good when running fdisk in Linux. I have a Linux native partition and a swap
partition. If I run e2fsck on the partition, it checks out fine. Windows also
refuses to boot, because it doesn't seem to like changes made with the Linux
version of fdisk. I ran FDISK /MBR at the DOS prompt and this just made things
worse. I am running out of ideas and the documentation is certainly no help. I
can still re-install the old hard drive to do repair work, but I am completely
out of ideas.
<SPAN
class=737594312-26042001>
Any