[ale] Hardware Lockup

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 24 18:55:30 EDT 2001

"Joseph A. Knapka" wrote:

> > Chris Fowler wrote:
> >
> > I have a lockup on one of my machines when using a piece of hardware.
> > Is there a way I can debug this to see what was actually taking place
> > at that moment?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris
>
> If you have some clue about where things are going wrong, adding
> instrumentation to the kernel in the form of printk() calls might
> help you narrow it down. I believe it's also possible to debug a
> running kernel using gdb on a different machine, but I don't know
> how that works (and I could just be hallucinating the whole notion).

I wasn't hallucinating. kgdb <http://kdgb.sourceforge.net/> lets you
debug a running kernel from a different machine via a serial
connection.

Good luck,

-- Joe

-- Joseph Knapka
"If I ever get reincarnated... let me make certain I don't come back
 as a paperclip." -- protagonist, H Murakami's "Hard-boiled Wonderland"
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *