[ale] FTP weirdness

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 24 17:20:35 EDT 2001

Leonard Thornton wrote:

> Is your Linux box you are going through your firewall/NAT box?  With your
> Linux clients that work through this box, have you tried setting PASSIVE
> mode off and seeing if they work?
>
> If this box IS a firewall/NAT box, you need to make sure that ftp-data port
> is open inbound AND that it is MASQ'd properly.  Look at elofw.sh out on
> www.linux.org for an example of how to do this....You can test this by
> setting your Linux ftp clients to use ACTIVE mode rather than PASSIVE for
> transfers.  If this is your problem, your Linux clients will failed in
> ACTIVE mode.

You can also "insmod ip_masq_ftp.o" to get active connections to work
properly.

-- Joe

> Hope this helps.
>
> At 04:22 PM 4/24/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >I am experiencing a strange occurance with ftp connections through my
> >linux box with Windows Clients.  I wonder if anyone else is experiencing
> >this...
> >
> >Here is an extract from a login using the ftp client on a windows machine:
> >
> >230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
> >ftp> ls
> >200 PORT command successful.
> >425 Can't build data connection:  Connection refused
> >ftp>
> >
> >The interesting thing is that this only occurs with Windows based
> >clients.  For the linux based machines that route through this one server,
> >the ftp clients can connect and list directories just fine
> >
> >Note - both Linux and windows ftp clients log in just fine.  Also, the
> >windows ftp clients log into the linux router just fine and can list the
> >directory.
> >
> >Kernel version is v2.4.3
> >
> >Anyone else had this problem?
> >
> >Regards - Bob Kruger
> >

> >--
> >body.
>
> The difficult while you wait.....the impossible overnight.
>
> Leonard Thornton
> Intelis, Inc.
> 5960 Crooked Creek Rd
> Suite 30
> Norcross, GA  30092
>
> Office: 770.825.0032
> Fax:            770.825.0028
> Cellular:       404.583.5402
> Pager:          888.785.9188
> Email:          Leonard at Intelis-Inc.net

"If I ever get reincarnated... let me make certain I don't come back
 as a paperclip." -- protagonist, H Murakami's "Hard-boiled Wonderland"
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *