[ale] Bellsouth DSL using PPOE

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Sat Apr 21 15:29:04 EDT 2001

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 11:45:00 -0400, Denny Chambers wrote:

>Has anyone setup an ipchains fw/gateway on Bellsouth's DSL with there PPOE
>software? I modified my previous ipchains configuration that I used with my
>static ip cable modem, but I am not having any luck. Is there anything that
>I need to check to get this to work?

I'm using Mindspring.....er, Earthlink DSL, which should be pretty much
the same as BellSouth's(dynamic IP using PPPOE), and I'm running a
firewall/gateway using ipchains.  I use a hand-built ipchains script
based on Robert Ziegler's book 'Internet Firewalls'.

If you've switched from a static address to a dynamic address, the key
may be where you invoke your script.  With a static address, you can do
your ipchains configuration in the system startup scripts.  With a
dynamic address, you'll probably want to re-configure whenever the
connection bounces (because at least the ip address will change).  With
PPPOE, it's easiest to do this from the /etc/ppp/ip-up script, which is
run after the PPP connection comes up.  The pppd daemon passes several
arguments to this script, including the remove and local ip address,
and the adapter name.  If you're doing more than 3-line masquerading,
you may very well want to pass them to your ipchains script.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively
http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at