[ale]idebus=?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sat Apr 21 10:39:37 EDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Marc Vogt wrote:

> But now, I am more confused.  Here are the specs for my board:
>

>                                   Chipset
>                                       1.ALi M1542 Aladdin V AGPset
>                                       2.SupportsUltra DMA/33IDE protocol
>                                       3.SupportsAGP 66MHz/133MHz (Sideband) 3.3Vdevice
>
> Isn't my PCI bus speed faster than 33MHz?

Nope.  Very loosely speaking, PCI bus speed is 33 MHz for 32-bit PCI and 66
MHz for 64-bit PCI; you can no doubt find all four combinations in use if
you look (this new sun blade I'm on right now has both 66 and 33 MHz PCI
busses, for example), but on almost all PC-class hardware the PCI bus runs
around 33 MHz.

The option is there because that speed will change if you're overclocking or
otherwise running at a "weird" bus speed, and so that way you can adjust
between ~ 25 and 40 MHz for you PCI bus if you need to....

BTW, the option you want instead is ide0=ata66 (which you use whether it's
ata66 or ata100)

later,
chris

--