[ale] A little gripe

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Fri Apr 20 10:50:24 EDT 2001

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 06:51:13 -0400, J.D. Forinash wrote:

>Then came modems. And modems were DCE, because you wanted to wire 'em
>straight-through to your terminal.

Which, of course, means you needed a cross-wired cable on the mainframe
end (DCE-DCE).  Which was probably a good decision (to get back to the
original topic), as that way the user side of things requires the
simpler wiring.

I wonder how far back this goes.  I've been hacking on computers for 25
or so years, and don't have any personal remembrance of DCE being Data
Computing Equipment.  I presume the change must have occurred before
then.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively