[ale] A little gripe

Rod Young development at combiz.net
Fri Apr 20 09:39:47 EDT 2001

The Ham community has a similar schism between those who had to make
their own vacuume tubes and those just go out by their rigs pre
assembled. Personally I like getting under the hood. But some people
don't.

On 04/19/2001, 5:24:11 PM, Leonard Thornton <Leonard at Intelis-inc.net> wrote
regarding RE: [ale] A little gripe:

> At 04:48 PM 4/19/2001 -0400, Michael Smith wrote:
> >In Unix, you have to work a little harder to reap the rewards.  Here's
my
> >phrase of the day comparing Windows to Unix - "You don't learn how to
build
> >an engine by only changing the oil".  I think people that use Windows
are
> >only allowed to change the oil.  Unix(particular open sourced versions
of
> >Unix) people are allowed to look at the engine and learn see how it
works.
> >That's my analogy for the day.
> An excellent analogy......making notes so as to plagiarize later....

> >         I think that people coming into IT today are just not interested
in
> >learning the intricacies of the hardware.  People now tend to specialize
in
> >areas be it Development, QA, Systems Administration, Network
Administration,