[ale] Debian/networking frustration

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Fri Apr 20 09:16:11 EDT 2001

I've been trying to install Debian for 3 evenings now, but I'm
stumped.  I haven't tried to install Debian in about 5 years, but I've
been getting frustrated with Redhat and took the plunge.  The install
bent smoothly, if not quickly, but I can't get my networking up.  I've
never seen anything like this before, and I'm hoping someone out there
knows what the problem is.

The sypmtom is that my machine doesn't seem to be receiving anything.
My route looks good.  When I ping my router I can see that the router
replies by watching the lights on my hub, but ping never sees the
reply.

If I run tcpdump on the interface, the only thing I see is arp
requests from my box about the destination.  No replies, no packets,
no nothin'.

As of Monday my NIC was working fine.  It is a 3com 3c509 (b, I
think).  It's a PNP isa card that has worked since 1995.  I'm using
Debian Potato 2.2.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

--Michael