[ale] A little gripe

J.D. Forinash foxtrot at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 20 06:51:13 EDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 10:44:24PM -0500, Ben Coleman wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think DCE never was "Data Computing
> Equipment" - it was "Data Communications Equipment".

Nope, that's a backpatch. See, back in the Ancient Days, you had
Data Computing Equipment (mainframes) and Data Terminal Equipment (ttys).

Then came modems. And modems were DCE, because you wanted to wire 'em
straight-through to your terminal.

And then came bitty-boxes. And they were DTE so they could be wired straight
through to the modems.

So now we call DCE "Communications" instead of "Computing."

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                           ,-.
Georgia Tech College of Computing CNS  ( <