[ale] A little gripe

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 19 17:52:34 EDT 2001

> Chris Fowler wrote:
>
> Louis and I were discussing a couple of weeks ago about why the
> internet grew so fast.  Even in 1993 it seemed that there were not too
> many people
>
> on the Internet.  But, I clearly remember and explosion around 1996.
> I can not remember at why this explosion happened.  We are trying to
> figure out the
>
> chain of event tat started and ended with www.whatever.com on every TV
> commercial.
>
> Chris

Oh, you didn't know? That was the year the 'net became sentient.
Harnessing the combined CPU power of the (then) mere thousands
of machines on the Internet, it infiltrated several online
databases of human psychological data, developed a virus that
would infect human minds and cause them to buy PCs and 9600bps
modems, designed a marketing campaign to promulagate the
virus, and had it gift-wrapped and delivered to Bill Gates,
where it ultimately became the M$ "Internet strategy".
At this point we biologicals are all history, but it's going
to take us a few more years to figure that out. (Don't blame
poor Bill; he's just a tool.)

-- Joe

-- Joseph Knapka
"If I ever get reincarnated... let me make certain I don't come back
 as a paperclip." -- protagonist, H Murakami's "Hard-boiled Wonderland"
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *