[ale] @Home and Linux

Michael Perigard michael at ancker.net
Wed Apr 18 10:29:36 EDT 2001

I use my linux box with @home with no trouble. I manually setup my
settings (if @home ever changes my IP, I'm in trouble) because they
rarely, if ever, change.

As far as using DHCP, the only catch I found is you must pass your
assigned hostname as your 'client-id', *not* your hostname. The DHCP
client will autoconfigure everything for you, including your hostname.
Read your DHCP client man pages, it should just be a simple flag i.e.:

dhcpcd -I cc102537-q

I never set mine up to run at bootime, but I never really tried. After it
autoconfigured my settings (ran from console), i wrote them all down, and
configured them manually.

Id reccomend dhcpcd from http://www.phystech.com/download/ . The
documentation is detailed, and it came highly reccomended to me.

-Michael