[ale] @Home and Linux

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Wed Apr 18 06:39:17 EDT 2001

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Clayton Aucoin wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if @Home cable modem service works with Linux
> (Mandrake 7.2)?  I tried asking their service department but all they
> could tell me was that "Since Linux is not part of the @Home software,
> then they were not authorized to answer that question."  If anyone
> does know the answer please let me know and also how to set it up as I
> am a novice.  Thanks.

The answer is yes.  A friend of mine in Seattle is using this combination
of elements.  He is using exactly the same setup I am using with Road
Runner.  We're both running Red Hat, but Mandrake is built on Red Hat, so
there should be no problem.

What you will need to do is put an ethernet card in your machine, and do
not let @home bring you a cable modem that isn't of the ethernet variety.
Let the service tech hook it up, then run linuxconf.  Under Networking,
then under Client Tasks, select Host name and IP network devices.  Click
on the tab for Adaptor 1.  Select the Enabled checkbox, and the DHCP radio
button.  Leave the rest of the fields blank.

...et voila!  You're ready to roll.

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.