[ale] testing mx records

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Mon Apr 16 11:25:24 EDT 2001

> I'm trying to find out if a service provider has MX records set up correctly.
> How can I check this with nslookup.  I've tried using "ls -t MX thedomain.com"
> in nslookup but that only gives me the error below.
>
> > ls -t MX keith-hamm.com
> [ns1.mindspring.com]
> *** Can't list domain thedomain.com: Unspecified error

I recall that mx records should not point to aliases.
( I am not 100% sure )

	Stephan

% nslookup
Default Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

> set q=mx
>  keith-hamm.com
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
keith-hamm.com  preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.keith-hamm.com

keith-hamm.com  nameserver = NS1.NETWORKTEL.NET
keith-hamm.com  nameserver = NS2.NETWORKTEL.NET
NS1.NETWORKTEL.NET      internet address = 216.83.236.227
NS2.NETWORKTEL.NET      internet address = 216.83.236.228
> <CTRL-D>

%nslookup  mail.keith-hamm.com
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1