[ale] Net interface reconfiguring Q: turning DHCP on and off

John Mills john at mills-atl.com
Mon Apr 16 10:34:59 EDT 2001

James -

Thanks for the reply. I may use some close variant of that.

---- James Kinney <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> 1 setup to use DHCP and copy /etc/sysconfig/network to
> /etc/sysconfig/network.dhcp

_But_  my intended question was lower-level than your answer: Given a system already set up for
static net definitions, how do I set it up instead for DHCP? I haven't found any DHCP settings on
either 'linuxconf' or 'control-panel' to go that direction. If there isn't a setup utility for this, what files
and settings do I need to touch.

I.e., how should '/etc/sysconfig/network'  look to start with DHCP?

I suspect my problem is actually a setup problem in the static configuration, but one symptom is the
DSL router/firewall not responding to my inquiries, so I wanted to do a "cold start" with DHCP
served by my router to see whether it needed to relearn the net configuration or something like that.

Thanks.
 - Mills