[ale] MS up to it again.

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Thu Apr 12 16:02:23 EDT 2001

Thus spake Glenn C. Lasher Jr. (glasher at nycap.rr.com):

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>
> >   Anyone see the link on slashdot about MS, WindowsXP and MP3 files?
> > Microsoft and RealNetworks have decided they don't like MP3's and are
> > going to limit the quality of any MP3's you record on an XP system.
>
> ...so use Linux.  My home is a Microsoft-free zone, save for my
> employer-provided, employer-maintained laptop computer.  Use
> Linux+CDParanoia+LAME to rip, Linux+mpg123+cdrecord to burn, Linux+XMMS to
> play back.  I find that XMMS sounds better than WinAMP anyway.

Actually there are 2 MS boxes in my house, company provided Laptop and my
desktop which is dual boot,  I haven't found a good way to Play EQ or RS:UO
in Linux yet, and VMWare just isn't fast enough.

> >   What you want doesn't matter, microsoft wants you to use RealNetworks...
>
> Actually, no.  Real wants you to use Real.  Microsquishie wants you to use
> Windows Media.  Microsquishie and Real are no longer friends.

That'll be interesting to follow then.

> ...of course, since these are for private consumption anyway (The ARE for
> private consumption, right?) the format doesn't matter as long as all of
> your apps play together.  If they don't, then change apps until they do.

Check the other thread.  I use em for my NomadII mp3 player when on ye old
motorcycle :>

I dont rip under windows as I use a perl script in my fileserver.  It
uses forks and pipe() IPC.  I did some light weight testing and beat Music
Match by about 10mins on a CD, encoding at 192.

I was hoping to hear if there were any other things in XP I should know
about though.  I remember the windows3.1 and DRDos "issue"...  Yes I know
that one is a fact as I ran into it on a friends computer before it was
a known fact.

I'm still using 98se for my gaming and figure someday soon they'll make
it so I have to upgrade so I'm just keeping my eyes open.

Robert

:wq!
                                \_       that important!
DISCLAIMER: