[ale] MS up to it again.

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu Apr 12 12:52:55 EDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 09:31:38AM -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>   Anyone see the link on slashdot about MS, WindowsXP and MP3 files?
> Microsoft and RealNetworks have decided they don't like MP3's and are
> going to limit the quality of any MP3's you record on an XP system.

Actually, it's no different than the current state of affairs.  Since
Win95 SR2, Windows came with a MP3 codec that was limited to 56kbps
encoding.

Windows XP will come with its own CD ripping software.  The thing they're
talking about is that Microsoft MediaRipper(tm) won't let users encode
greater than 56kbps mp3s.  This is no different than the current state of
affairs!    Also, MS would have to pay $2.50 per copy of windows in order to have
high-bitrate MP3 encoding.  Think about that.  :)

(You will continue be able to play back mp3s in any bitrate you want)

Nevermind that there are dozens of programs out there that will encode
MP3s in any bitrate you want.

Windows XP is merely restricting the behaivor of it's built-in ripper.
There's nothing forcing you to use that one exclusively.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344