[ale] MS up to it again.

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Thu Apr 12 12:19:21 EDT 2001

It's just sick though.  I dont do mass pirating of my CDs.  I have a NomadII
I use when on my motorcycle or whatever.  I like to take my new Buffet box
set, rip/encode them and listen to them going down the road.  You think a
CD wont skip on a motorcycle? heh yeah right.  But hey, Microsoft knows
better than me of course.  Bah

Robert

Thus spake Fulton Green (ale at FultonGreen.com):

> This has actually been going on for some time, though. M$ takes the hard-line
> approach IIRC by making you agree to a "no-pirating" statement before you can
> even record WMA files at high bit rates (which aren't even an option for MP3
> ripping within that  player). RealJukebox, OTOH, IIRC, YMMV, etc., seems to
> merely encourage you to save in RA format by touting the space-saving
> advantages. Something may have changed w/them recently.
>
> Oh well, once the music industry figures out how to rip-proof CDs (the new
> Charley Pride album being the first salvo), this'll all be moot. Until
> someone hacks their way around it. ;-)
>
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 09:31:38AM -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >   Anyone see the link on slashdot about MS, WindowsXP and MP3 files?
> > Microsoft and RealNetworks have decided they don't like MP3's and are
> > going to limit the quality of any MP3's you record on an XP system.
> >
> >   What you want doesn't matter, microsoft wants you to use RealNetworks...

:wq!
                                \_       that important!
DISCLAIMER:
FYI: