[ale] Man 7.2: printer won't stop

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Apr 12 07:04:39 EDT 2001

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> I'm trying to stop a screwed-up print job.  Power-cylcing printer won't
> stop it, I killed the job in CUPS, still it prints junk.  What can I do
> to make the printer die?

I've had this problem before and the resolution that worked for me is:

kill the job (which you did)
turn the printer off (which you did)
remove power from the printer, and leave it for a few minutes without
power.

Many printers have memory and will retain print data.  If you remove the
power, it will lose what's in memory.

Other's may have a better solution, but this works for me with my Epson
Stylus and worked with a previous Canon printer.  As a matter of fact,
the Canon docs actually provided this solution.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein