[ale] Re: convert && gdk_imlib error--Solved

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Wed Apr 11 21:50:51 EDT 2001

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 08:04:10PM -0500 David S. Jackson <dsj at sylvester.dsj.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get to the root of this problem.  Whenever I
> run certain gnome applications, such as gmp3, I get the following
> error, or one like it:
>
> ****SNIP****
> [dsj at sylvester dsj]$ gmp3
> GMP3 Version 0.08
> /convert: No such file or directory
> gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
> /usr/local/lib/gmp3/default/images/back.jpg
> All fallbacks failed.
> Segmentation fault
> ****SNIP****
>

> The file back.jpg exists.  libjpeg is installed, as is
> imagemagick and gdk-imlib-dev and gdk-imlib1 (Debs for Debian
> 2.2).
>
> Any ideas on what the problem here is?

Turns out that this ''gdk_imlib ERROR:" was due to two copies of
imlib on my system.  I found a note at the end of the Gnome FAQ
that talked about imlib getting confused if two copies of it
existed on the system.  (I sometimes use two copies, one for
runtime and one for /usr/local/lib, where I compile stuff against
it.)  Anyway, while that has never been a problem for most libs,
it appears to be a problem for imlib.  Removing or renaming those
libs in /usr/local/lib removed the problem.  :-)

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net