[ale] ntp

Jeff T ale at jeffx.com
Wed Apr 11 16:31:09 EDT 2001

In order to keep all the UNIX hosts on my network running at the
same time I use ntp.  I use a LINUX server to act in client mode
to an external clock server and then all my UNIX workstations function
as clients to the LINUX server.  I have been running it successfully
for about 8 months.

This morning one of the developers informs me there is a time problem.
I have been trying to solve it ever since.  The ntpd daemon starts
up okay and using ntpdc on the hosts seems to give me proper responses.
I have rebuilt ntpd from source on the server and on my client
to no avail.  I downloaded automachron for a Windows client and it
will sync with the LINUX server but none of my UNIX hosts will.

The UNIX hosts are mostly Red Hat Linux and IRIX 6.5.x.  Anyone have
any pointers that I should look at?

Jeff