[ale] compaq servers and dd

Rod Young development at combiz.net
Wed Apr 11 09:47:04 EDT 2001

I have an old compaq prosignia 300. A P150 class machine that has a
partition (sda4) that is labeled compaq.
Now that I have installed lilo the BIOS does not come up. One book
suggests using dd to copy the original boot sector saved in the file
system.

The example given is for ide.
dd if=/boot/boot.0300 of=dev/hda bs=446 count=1

If I want to use this for scsi would i use the following?
dd=/boot/boot.0800 of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1

this assumes that the location of the file is /boot/boot.0800. Is the
byte count correct?