[ale] Distributed File Systems

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Apr 7 16:03:59 EDT 2001

>  NFS isn't what I mean by "distributed."  I'm talking about a virtual
> filesystem that is in actuality spread across several real filesystems on
> different networked computers.  Intermezzo was one thing I looked at some
> time back, but it seems to have evaporated.  I need this for disaster
> recoevery purposes for a filesystem that will grow so large that backup
> tapes becopme impractical, so I want a DFS that can survice the loss of a
> component real filesystem (i.e., server crashes or otherwise goes off the
> network.

What you are describing above sounds more like fault tolerance in a
filesystem. If that is the case, then it sounds like you really need is
a journaling filesystem versus a distributed filesystem.

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
        "Anything worth fighting over is worth fighting dirty over"