[ale] How to change the size of Var folder?

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 6 23:57:13 EDT 2001

You really need to find out why /var is getting full and
address that problem. Maybe you have some daemon that's
dumping thousands of "Can't framborize /dev/widget on retry #550392"
into /var/log/messages, or something like that.

You could, however -- strictly as a temporary hack -- copy
/var to a directory on a larger partition (say, /usr/new_var),
remove the /var directory (dangerous - probably best to be
in single-user mode for that), and then link /var to
/usr/new_var. The danger, of course, is that whatever is
filling up your /var partition now has the opportunity to
fill up /usr instead.

Regards,

-- Joe

Jim Popovitch wrote:

> Well, more than likely you just can't increase the size of your /var
> partition w/o changing the size of another one.  Send me the output of
> "df -k" and "fdisk -l /dev/hda" so that I can get a better idea of how
> your harddrive is laid out.
>
> -Jim P.
>
> --- Nguyen Son <ducson at wingfu.com> wrote:
> > Hi Jim,
> > Thanks for the response.
> > I am new to Linux so what i really want is to increase the size of
> > Var
> > folder without having read all articles about howto's create a
> > patition and
> > mount and remount var .
> >
> > Is there any simpler way just to temporary fix this problem ?

-- Joe Knapka
"It was just a maddened crocodile hidden in a flower bed. It could
 have happened to anyone." -- Pratchett
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *