[ale] Free BSD

Robert Heaven robertheaven at mediaone.net
Thu Apr 5 21:27:19 EDT 2001

Did you set up your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file? Here's mine. Please note the
indentions and the ":" on the label "myispname:" are important. To operate
mine I type "ppp" which gives me the "PPP>" prompt and then I type "dial
myispname" which does the rest.
############################## /etc/ppp/ppp.conf #####
default:
   ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
   set device /dev/cuaa0
   set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
   set speed 115200
   set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
           \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
myispname:
   delete default
   set phone <isp phone number>
   set login
   set authname <username>
   set authkey <password>
   set timeout 3600   # 60 minute idle timer
   set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
   add! default HISADDR   # Add a (sticky) default route
##################################

To check for irq conflicts type "dmesg | grep irq" and see which ones are in
use.

> Good Morning,
> I hope this does not offend anyone. I recently started playing with Free
BSD
> I was able to complete the install with no problem. I then went to set up
> dial-up connection to my ISP. I have a Hayes Acura 56k isa modem that has
worked
> flawlessly with my RH 6.2 and Slack 7.1 machines. The modem is jumpered
for com
> 1 which is device cuaa0 in BSD terms. When I enter the command ppp I get
the
> ppp comand line Like I am suppose to. I then enter term /dev/cuaa0 which
drops
> me to another command line where I am suppose to be able to enter
> which is the phone number I want to dial. My problem is the terminal just
hangs
> at this point and wont let me do anything I have to kill the terminal to
get
> out. I have a ps/2 mouse so I dont think there could be a conflict there.
The