[ale] BOF

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Fri Sep 29 11:16:44 EDT 2000

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I am leading a BOF during ALS.  I have never been to one and would
> apprectiate it if someone can tell me what a BOF is and how it goes?

BOF - birds of a feather.  An open forum on a particular topic - usually a
broad topic.

As a moderator of a BOF, you usually introduce yourself, give a BRIEF
overview of the topic and possibly throw out the first question/topic.
After that, you basically make sure that it stays on topic, doesn't get
too out of hand, etc...   Normally they will run themselves, but sometimes
people will monopolize coversations or someone will have something to say
but can't get a word in, or everyone starts shouting to try and be heard.

In those cases, you may have to resort to some sort of more active
moderation, like making people raise their hands and you will call on them
in the order you see them.

	-Dan