[ale] Linux & Win 2000

Wandered Inn esoteric at atlnet.com
Thu Sep 28 23:44:40 EDT 2000

Kyle Beckman wrote:

> >       Just install Win2000 first anfd then Linux.  There shouldn't be a
> >problem.  Just install the LILO MBR in the first partition of your drive.
>
> ... and congratulations... you just fried your Windows 2000 installation.
> Been there... tried it... doesn't work that easy.  The NT boot loader and
> LILO don't play together unless you make them.
>
> My suggestion is to go to http://www.linuxdoc.org/ and find the HOWTO on

Now I know nothing of win2k, but you specifically referenced the NT boot
loader.  My comments are with regard to Linux/NT dual boot.

This has been tossed around on this list a couple of times.  I don't
know what the differences are, but I do know that I have two laptops
running dual boot Linux/NT and I use lilo for both of them.  On the
first laptop I initially went with the NT boot loader solution.  I'll
tell you this, it's a real pain in the ass.  I then decided to reload NT
because it was having all kinds of problems, and at the same time
upgrade Linux.  I then went the LILO route, and everything worked fine.
That was an HP Omnibook and it's still running this install.  I've since
gotten an upgrade Toshiba Tecra, which came preinstalled with NT.  I got
a copy of partition magic reduced the 3 gig NT partition down to 1 gig,
then installed Mandrake 7.0 on that puppy.  It's running just fine.  So,
there are two examples of LILO bootloader working just fine with NT
bootloader. So your statement above is inaccurate.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein