[ale] OT: Looking for good theme for network names

Danny Cox danny at compgen.com
Thu Sep 28 12:58:54 EDT 2000

All,

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Dan Newcombe wrote:

> That's what I usually do as well.  Our original web server was named
> Mirkwood, due to the number of spiders and spiderwebs encountered in that
> forest in The Hobbit.
>
> My notebook is Rohan, which are a mobile group of riders.
>
> My desktop is Bree, which was a town that was home for a night, and evil
> things happened there (my desktop runs NT :)
>
> The nameserver is Rivendell, which was a place full of ancient lore and
> knowledge.

	Well, I've kept quiet until now.  In a former life, my company had
Tolkein names too.  Then I arrived.  I had been introduced to "Bord of the
Rings" by Harvard Press.  An obvious ripoff, but quite fun!  The characters
in that book were similar to the originals, but were usually product names.
GoodGulf Grayteeth, Frito, Moxie, Pepsi, and Spam just to name a few.  Since
I placed little name plaques on each machines, they got some very strange
looks, indeed!

Danny