[ale] OT: Looking for good theme for network names

James Kinney jkinney at teller.physics.emory.edu
Thu Sep 28 10:05:23 EDT 2000

Pro-sports teams, characters from Disney movies (animation especially),
Presidents, Astronauts, States, Capitol cities, restaurants on route 66
(very obscure), botanical names of herbs and spices, hurricane names,
famous hollywood people, porn stars, etc.

The disney movie characters lend itself to large organization by
departments name from one movie.

These are great from a user standpoint, lousy from an admin perspective.

If the machines are general purpose, multi-user, I use a combination of
building, room number, location in room, all abbreviated as a naming
scheme. Printers end in _pr. I also build a hosts file that has human
happy aliases.

JimK