[ale] Shell script

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Sep 27 22:19:31 EDT 2000

    Wandered> How about perl? Assuming you have one entry per line:

    Wandered> cat fileonumbers | perl -ne 'BEGIN { my $total=0;}
    Wandered> {$total +=$_;}END {print $total;}'

        *tweet*

        Useless use of cat.  Five yards, repeat the down.

        And that `BEGIN { my $total = 0 }' is doing nothing. The
lexical my that you declare there goes out of scope as soon as the
block is done.  You're actually using the global $::total, which
starts out undefined (which conveniently is treated numerically a just
zero).

        Not to mention all the gratuitous use of whitespace. :)

        perl -lne '$t+=$_;END{print$t}' fileonumbers

        Can't get much closer to TECO than that, at least not without
some more punctuation chars.

678 443-6239(w)       |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=