[ale] Mgetty/Slackware

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 27 15:48:33 EDT 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:48:15 -0400, Bob Kruger wrote:

>"Ben Coleman (by way of Bob Kruger )" wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:40:55 -0400, Bob Kruger wrote:
>> >Is anyone successfully running Slackware with Mgetty for dialin?
>> Yes, I am, handling shell and PPP login, and Fax.
>Just to verify - this is running Slackware?

Yes.  Slackware 7.0.

>Did you compile Mgetty from the source, or use the Redhat RPM

I compiled from the 1.0.0 mgetty+sendfax source.

>> >I have compiled and installed Mgetty in accordance with the Pocket-ISP
>> >How-To.  MGetty will answer the modem, but I have not been able to get
>> What kind of connection from the Windows box are you trying to make?
>> PPP?  Windows normally expects to be able to drop right into PPP, and
>
>This correct, and I want it to authenticate via PAP.  I compiled from
>the source, installed, and entered mgetty as part of the inittab.
>Mgetty comes up just fine, and answers the telephone.  After that
>nothing much is happening.  PPP is installed and works (I have used PPP
>to dial out).

When you compiled mgetty, did you specify -DAUTO_PPP?  The AutoPPP
functionality won't work unless you do(and the Redhat RPM probably
comes compiled with it, so it doesn't get mentioned in the ISP-Setup
HOWTO).

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com    | The attempt to legislatively