[ale] Linux Business Expo at N+I this week

Joe Morris jolomo at olagrande.net
Wed Sep 27 09:31:29 EDT 2000

Not so long ago Fulton Green wrote:
> I went for a few hours today with some coworkers, spending half the time in
> the Linux area and the other half scarfing up free schwag in the other
> booths. Red Hat was giving away their latest distro (7.0) for those willing
> to suff^H^H^H^Hlisten to their presentation. Caldera was also giving away
> their "technology preview" (a 2.4 kernel-based distro) along w/more stable
> desktop and server CDs. Stormix was there, giving out Storm Linux 2000 (which
> is a Debian-based distro). And to make things interesting, BSDi showed up
> complete with a live daemon mascot. They were giving away wearable daemon
> horns, with which you could have your picture taken with two "she-devils".
> But, alas, no FreeBSD distro handouts. Penguin Computing and RackSpace also
> made a showing, as did Linux Journal and Linux Magazine, with the requisite
> free issues.

The Linux setup is much bigger than last year. Along with all
the free stuff, their was a commercial booth where you could
pick up any distribution for a few bucks or the whole stack for $25.
Yes, very strange to see people dressed as the daemon & penguins.

VXA is giving away a few 66GB tape drives every day, and the coolest
toy I picked up was from Lawson -- a retractable phone cord

If anybody is doing stuff with Netcool at work -- they're hosting a cocktail
party tonight at the Hyatt
--
  Joe Morris, SysAdmin and Not Insane
  Atlanta stories: http://www.olagrande.net/users/jolomo/atlanta.html