[ale] 2 fetchmail processes

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Wed Sep 27 09:30:15 EDT 2000

This week I lost a lot of mail, and I think I know what the problem
was, but I don't understand how it resulted in mail getting lost.  I
am hoping one of y'all can share a clue with me.

When I started watching my logs, it would appear that some emails were
getting downloaded twice, and then lost.  The ones that were
downloaded off the POP server only once would show up in my mailbox.

Further poking around on my system (RH 6.1 with lots of updates)
showed that I had 2 fetchmail processes running.  Isn't that supposed
to be impossible?  Anyway, I killed them and restarted fetchmail and
it all works again.

I see how 2 fetchmails could conceivably fetch a mail twice, but I
don't understand how each could prevent the other from delivering.

I'm sure it's simple, but I guess I'm even simpler.

Any hints?

--Michael