[ale] Linux Business Expo at N+I this week

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue Sep 26 20:24:40 EDT 2000

I'm slightly surprised no one else has posted anything about this, so ...

In case you haven't noticed all the ads on top of taxis and such,
NetWorld+Interop is in town once again, at the Georgia World Congress Center.
In addition to the usual network "plumbing" stuff, it also encapsulates two
mini-conferences, one of which is the Linux Business Expo. The entire
conference runs through noon on the 29th, with the exhibit hall running
tomorrow (Wednesday) from 10-6 and Thursday from 10-4. If you can't find one
of your jillion free pass offers you got in the mail, print out
http://www.key3media.com/interop/atlanta2000/registration.html for a free
exhibit-only pass (no one under 18 admitted, though).

I went for a few hours today with some coworkers, spending half the time in
the Linux area and the other half scarfing up free schwag in the other
booths. Red Hat was giving away their latest distro (7.0) for those willing
to suff^H^H^H^Hlisten to their presentation. Caldera was also giving away
their "technology preview" (a 2.4 kernel-based distro) along w/more stable
desktop and server CDs. Stormix was there, giving out Storm Linux 2000 (which
is a Debian-based distro). And to make things interesting, BSDi showed up
complete with a live daemon mascot. They were giving away wearable daemon
horns, with which you could have your picture taken with two "she-devils".
But, alas, no FreeBSD distro handouts. Penguin Computing and RackSpace also
made a showing, as did Linux Journal and Linux Magazine, with the requisite
free issues.

Among the more notable non-Linux schwag were cigars made by some guy
hand-rolling them in the QOS booth. There are probably better schwag items,
but like I said, I was only there for a few hours.

So if you've got a few hours to kill and not enough bandwidth or no CD burner,
hop on a MARTA train and get you some updated distros.

Fulton Green
http://www.FultonGreen.com/