[ale] Squid proxy problems

Stephen Pellicer spellicer at 8thlayer.net
Mon Sep 25 11:30:04 EDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 09:35:53AM -0400, Stephen Pellicer wrote:
> Hello,
> I use squid at home and am having some problems with certain sites.
> Everything works fine most of the time and I do like the use of a
> cache. The problem seems to only crop up when I hit international
> sites (e.g. www.theregister.co.uk). When I hit these sites, nothing
> happens. tcpdump reports attempts to access the site but the initial
> packet is strangely tagged with [ECN-Echo,CWR]. Looking up stuff on
> ECN-Echo reports that ECN stands for something along the lines of
> Congestion Notification or something. This only seems to happen on
> international sites.

Solved my own. I apparently requested that my 2.4.0 series kernel
request to use ECN which is TCP Explicit Congestion Notification or
something. I turned it off when I switched to 2.4.0-test8 and
everything seems to be working. I don't know why it only cropped up on
international sites unless it was related latency (considering it's
related to TCP congestion).

Stephen