[ale] Remote FTP

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Sun Sep 24 01:19:33 EDT 2000

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 12:09:25 +0000 (GMT) Agent Durga
<durga at burntmedia.org> writes:
> why not ask them kindly to install ssh and scp and enable the
> respective ports?.....i would think that this would allow everything
that you
> are looking for....i know gatech runs a very tight firewall around the
> acme complex, and they now allow ssh and scp connections through....
>
> <shrug>
>
> i do know that a lot of places don't seem to want to allow those
> connections, but i'm not sure of the reason since it is an
> encripted connection...

I don't think they are worried about someone outside tampering with the
firewall. I think they are more worried about what students and teachers
would download using it. They don't have the resources to monitor what
gets downloaded, so they make themselves feel good by just disabling it.
So, encrypted or not, they don't want it.

Michael Golden