[ale] ALS - A few thoughts

Ray Knight - Clientlink rayk at clientlink.com
Wed Sep 20 10:10:54 EDT 2000

> All,
>
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, michael d. ivey wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 04:42:41PM -0400, Vaidhyanathan
> Mayilrangam wrote:
> > > Just read a few days ago from the list that ALS is now moving
> from city to
> > > city and will be in Oakland, CA next year. It saddens me to
> think that the
> > > showcase which was a part of Atlanta Linux scene will no
> longer be Atlanta's.
> >
> > I just heard on debian-devel.  I'm not surprised, but it is a shame.
> > There are so many West Coast Linux shows.  And LW in New York.  And
> > everywhere else...except the Southeast.  Isn't the Durham show gone,
> > too?
>
> 	Yes, it is.
>
> > > Maybe it is time we need to start a new convention for linux folks in
> > > Southeast, every six months.. Sorta get-together for the local LUGs?
> > > Where folks could demo their machines, ask questions, conduct
> forums etc..
> >
> > I'm all in favor.  The best ALSes were the early ALSes.  Re-capturing
> > some of that feel, plus replacing a show in the Southeast sounds like a
> > great idea.  The problem is coordination.
> >
> > How does ALS staff, especially from the years past, feel about the move?
>
> 	I am disappointed too.  The main problem was finding a venue.
> Apparently the Galleria simply wanted more commitment than we were willing
> to give, so we had to start looking elsewhere.
>
> 	We had bounced this idea around before, but it always degenerated
> into suggestions like 'ALS Armenia' or 'ALS Aruba' or even 'ALS
> Antarctica'
> (anyone see a theme here? ;-).
>
> 	For several reasons, USENIX must decide the venue.  First, they're
> financially responsible; second, they have the staff and experience to
> properly negotiate with venues; and third, they have 20+ years of clout
> that ALS doesn't.  Venue management will talk to USENIX where
> they wouldn't
> even consider speaking to 'a bunch of trade show volunteers', which is how
> we're still perceived.
>
> 	We have also wanted to host a smaller event, like an install fest,
> but no one has stepped forward to lead it.  The current board already has
> plenty of work to do, in addition to our real jobs, and we could use some
> help.  It's probably too late to bring anyone in for ALS 2000, but I know
> the board will be smaller next year, and we need new blood.

Well I got the impression that the board didn't want new blood.  I
volunteered and worked a lot of hours at the last two ALS shows.  After last
year's show I inquired about becoming a member of the board and helping with
this year's show.  I never really heard back from anyone after the show was
over, so I just assumed that it was a closed group and they didn't want or
need any additional help.