[ale] ALS - A few thoughts

Chris Woodruff cwoodruff at worldwindtech.com
Wed Sep 20 04:48:21 EDT 2000

Dan Newcombe wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Vaidhyanathan Mayilrangam wrote:
> > Just read a few days ago from the list that ALS is now moving from city to
> > city and will be in Oakland, CA next year. It saddens me to think that the
> > showcase which was a part of Atlanta Linux scene will no longer be Atlanta's.
>
> I agree.  It not so much saddens me as disgusts me.  It seems to me that
> it's admiting that Atlanta and the southeast bite as far as technology
> goes.  "Oh dear - technology - we must flock to the west coast".

When I found out ALS was leaving Atlanta I was a little disappointed.
After talking to a few ALS organizers (V and Blake), I think that
keeping ALS in Atlanta every year may have killed the show.  How many
places have Linux users that could not make it to Atlanta?  There is
probably a great deal.  What if a number of groups from across the
country organized there own ALS type of show?  Well the vendors would
have to pick between a number of shows because of marketing budgets.
How knows if Atlanta would be on the top of the list to be at.  By
adapting ALS to become a traveling show the chances of this happening
decrease and more people rally around ALS.

I understand that the selection process for picking a city is tough.  I
understand that CA is a great place to have ALS but how many shows
related to Linux have been in the SF Bay area this year?  LinuxWorld and
the Open Source Convention come to mind right away.  I think having the
next location in Seattle, Austin, Denver or Chicago would be fun and
reach a lot of people that do not have the resources to attend a show in
California.

> However, much kudos to Marc, Greg, and everyone else who has taken this
> from people who couldn't see their monitors cause of glare in a GaTech
> building to this huge monster.

I am excited to see what ALS next month is like.  I had a lot of fun
last year volunteering and meeting new people.  Just have to have a
great time and then prepare for Oakland next year.  My wife has already
said next year's show is OK as long as I take her. <g>

Chris Woodruff