[ale] ALS - A few thoughts

michael d. ivey ivey at gweezlebur.com
Tue Sep 19 16:46:23 EDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 04:42:41PM -0400, Vaidhyanathan Mayilrangam wrote:
> Just read a few days ago from the list that ALS is now moving from city to
> city and will be in Oakland, CA next year. It saddens me to think that the
> showcase which was a part of Atlanta Linux scene will no longer be Atlanta's.

I just heard on debian-devel.  I'm not surprised, but it is a shame.
There are so many West Coast Linux shows.  And LW in New York.  And
everywhere else...except the Southeast.  Isn't the Durham show gone,
too?

> Maybe it is time we need to start a new convention for linux folks in
> Southeast, every six months.. Sorta get-together for the local LUGs?
> Where folks could demo their machines, ask questions, conduct forums etc..

I'm all in favor.  The best ALSes were the early ALSes.  Re-capturing
some of that feel, plus replacing a show in the Southeast sounds like a
great idea.  The problem is coordination.

How does ALS staff, especially from the years past, feel about the move?

--
michael d. ivey        [McQ] : "I love fools' experiments. I am always
   <ivey at gweezlebur.com>     : making them."          -- Charles Darwin