[ale] palm pilots and unattended PCs

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Thu Sep 14 22:27:18 EDT 2000

Wandered Inn writes:
 > hirsch at zapmedia.com wrote:
 > >
 > > I just read this article in comp.risks.  It points out that you can
 > > still sync your palm, even if your NT machine is locked and password
 > > protected.  I bet thet Linux has the same problem, though I haven't
 > > tested it.  It's an interesting security whole.
 > >
 > > Does anyone know of a "secure xlock" which will not only keep users
 > > out of your X session, but also lock the various ports?  It sounds
 > > like a somewhat tricky problem.
 >
 > I guess it depends on what you're using to sync your pilot with.  I'm
 > using jpilot.  If the package is not running, which I don't leave it up,
 > pushing the sync button does nothing, because there's nothing talking to
 > the cradle.

Sure.  Even if it is up, I don't think it monitors the port unless you
have pushed the sync button in jpilot.

But if you use gnome-pim, if runs a daemon that monitors the serial
port, so all you have to do is push the sync button on your pilot.
IMHO, that's the right way for a pilot manager to behave.  But there
is this small security problem.

--Michael