[ale] DSL and firewall tips

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Sep 13 12:01:00 EDT 2000

A word of caution - there is a less expensive version of the product which
omits the hub. I was getting one for my daughter as she is moving, and
brilliantly picked up the wrong one (OTOH - I have a spare hub, so I'm
really contributing to the decor of the apt - early unfurnished)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Randy Carpenter wrote:

> Me too (except I'm getting AT&T Broadband cable, formerly "MediaNone").  A
> colleague of mine recently recommended the following product that simplifies
> the chore greatly:
>
>   Instant BroadbandTM EtherFast Cable/DSL Router
>   http://www.linksys.com/
>
> In addition to being a FastEthernet switching hub, it apparently handles the
> IP Masq and firewall duties for you and the setup is through a web browser
> interface.  I saw it at CompUSA for $180 and it can be found online much
> cheaper.
>
> Does anyone have any experience using this?
>
> Randy
>
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Pete Hardie wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I will be getting DSL soon, and plan to have the usual firewall
> > IP Masq setup, but I'm running into trouble finding good explanations
> > on what I need to set up.  I've got the HOWTOS, but they tend to leave me
> > with as many questions as they answer.  Anyone got a pointer to a good
> > tutorial on setting up home network firewalls?
> >
> > FYI, I'm using Coyote Linux's LRP version on the firewall box.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
> > Scientific Atlanta            |
> > Digital Video Services Group  |
> > --

The harder I work, the luckier I get.