[ale] DSL and firewall tips

Randy Carpenter randy at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Sep 13 10:16:02 EDT 2000

Me too (except I'm getting AT&T Broadband cable, formerly "MediaNone").  A
colleague of mine recently recommended the following product that simplifies
the chore greatly:

  Instant BroadbandTM EtherFast Cable/DSL Router
  http://www.linksys.com/

In addition to being a FastEthernet switching hub, it apparently handles the
IP Masq and firewall duties for you and the setup is through a web browser
interface.  I saw it at CompUSA for $180 and it can be found online much
cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience using this?

Randy

Randy Carpenter                             http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~randy
Georgia Institute of Technology                         randy at cc.gatech.edu
College of Computing                                         (404) 894-9046
Computing and Networking Services Group        http://www.cc.gatech.edu/cns