[ale] tar options - HELP!

Cor van Dijk cor.angela at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 11 19:06:39 EDT 2000

Jeffrey B Layton wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I created a tar archive on tape with the command:
>
> tar cvfl /dev/st0 /home /opt /usr/local
>
> to back the directories listed. Now, how do I extract
> /usr/local/* from the archive? I've tried
>
> tar xvf /dev/st0 /usr/local
> tar xvf /dev/st0 /usr/local/*
>
> and several other variations with no success. I've
> looked at the man pages, but it seems that it should
> work (I did a tar tf /dev/st0 | grep file to locate a
> particular file, so I know th archive is intact).
>
> TIA,
>
> Jeff Layton

Hi Jeffrey

It seems to me that you are not using a driver, which makes me wonder how you got

your stuff on the tape in the first place. Anyway, I think you need something
like "mt" of "ftmt" to position your tape at the head of the file you want to
extract with a command like "ftmt -f /dev/nqft0 fsf n", were "n" is the number of

the file, probably starting to count from zero. See the man page for "mt". Hope
this helps. Cor.