[ale] clue requested vis listar

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Sep 11 18:19:43 EDT 2000

Has anybody setup the mailing list manager "listar" under RH6.2 (with
limited upgrades from the stock distribution)? Or have a clue I can
borrow?

The situation is this (more or less): I've been requested to set up a
mailing list for a professional organization I'm a member of. Since I've
got two linux boxes to play with, I wanted to play with several managers,
and make a choice on mild experience. So far, listar has resisted my
efforts to persuade it to work.

I installed the software from an rpm, and made the changes in users and
sendmail configuration files suggested by the
(limited) documentation. When I submit mail to the list, sendmail appears
to be working well, but unable to start the listar program. In the return
mail I get a "permission denied" and an "unknown mailer" error, resulting
in a permanent fatal error in the address. I am using the shell script
suggested in the documentation under /etc/smrsh, and that appears to be
attempting to run.

Any ideas?

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iocca