[ale] pilot question

John M. Trostel john.trostel at gtri.gatech.edu
Mon Sep 11 07:00:43 EDT 2000

---Reply to mail from Bryan Rank about [ale] pilot question

Having just done a similar thing to 'clean up' my Visor, this is what I
would suggest.

1. do the pilot-xfer -b /backup_directory/primary

2. make a copy of the primary backup
    $ cp /backup_directory/primary /backup_directory/secondary

3. rm the things youy don't think you need from the 'secondary'

4. restore from the 'secondary'
    $pilot-xfer -r /backup_directory/secondary

5. test the restore and see if it all works.

if not.... you can always use the primary backup to get back where you
were before gravity interfered with your life.

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I was wondering if anyone using "pilot-xfer" as an interface to their
> palm with Linux.  I smashed my PalmPilot Professional to bits yesterday
> and now have a IIIxe.  I did a backup using...
>
> pilot-xfer -b /home/bryan/PilotBackup/11SEP2000
>
> ....so now and have all the "stuff" on my linux box.  The master plan
> is to now put the IIIxe on the hotsync cable and use the "-r" option on
> pilot-xfer to spit everything to the new one.  Only thing that worries me
> is that I have old palmOS update files and other "garbage" that I don't
> want on the new boxet.  Common sense dictates that I go and "rm" the
> prc's that I don't want, then do the sync; been bitten by common before
> however and would much rather benefit from the knowledge of others here.
>
> ....Any comments or war stories would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks (I will summarize),
>

> Bryan

---End reply
John M. Trostel                     john.trostel at gtri.gatech.edu
GTRI / EOEML / URPO                         _
Georgia Institute of Technology            / \  ASCII Ribbon
Atlanta, GA  USA                           \ /  Campaign Against
                                            X   HTML Mail
                                           / \