[ale] trouble with rtsp:// and DarwinStreamingServer

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Mon Sep 11 08:51:29 EDT 2000

Daniel Woodard writes:

 > I Having some trouble making rtsp:// connections.

I've had occasional troubles, too.  Of course, I only use it
occasionally.  I wonder what would happen if I used it all the time?

 > I have a stock install of SuSE 6.4 on a PIII500 w/256MB ram. Freshly
 > installed it on this HD for this experiment.
 >
 > All computers are behind my firewall, so I don't think that's a problem.

I'm not sure if linux knows how to forward rtsp stuff.  The time's I
wasn't all behind a firewall I had real trouble.

 > The clients are 192.168.1.60 a G4/450mp running Netscape and a
 > 192.168.1.20 running WinNT and IE5.

Here's what finally worked for me on all platfors:

<EMBED
scale="tofit"
width="400" height="300"
autoplay="true"
controller="true"
type="application/x-rtsp"
src="http://192.168.1.2/sample.mov"
qtsrc="rtsp://192.168.1.2/sample.mov"></EMBED>

The key here was claiming that the src is http protocol, but the qtsrc
says that it is really rtsp.  netscape didn't understand rtsp, I
think.  I believe that this worked even for a java based linux
client.  (Did you know that JMF (Java Media Framework) does
quicktime?)

Hope that helps, some.

--Michael