[ale] tape backup of homenet

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Sun Sep 10 13:08:44 EDT 2000

Soliciting suggestions before diving into deep research, as I know many
here could likely save me a lot of time prior and offer up some real-life
useful suggestions gained from experience.

I'd like to eventually get a tape backup solution for my entire homenet.
Maybe to a DLT. I'm thinking of using either a dedicated Linux RH 6.x
or Caldera 2.2 P166 box, or, Solaris 7 x86 on same, as the dedicated
server to the tape drive. Clients will be assorted Linux boxes, Win 9x
boxes (spouse's, kid's, and my dedicated entertainment boxes), an NT4
server, Novell 4.11 (maybe), and probably eventually W2K. (It's a
dynamic 'flavors of the month' net, always messin' with it, I need to stay
up on everything.)

What software and hardware to consider? Currently this is a 10mbps
combined utp/coax net, could be upped to 100mbps easily enough.
SCSI tape in server will likely be a given.

At work we use Veritas Net Backup on Solaris for all Solaris and  NT
servers, to an STK 9714 tape silo, so I am familiar with it. Nice pkg, and
they've also ported it over to RH. Not sure if they'll sell me a 'small
potatoes'
license for a small net, but probably moot due to cost if they would. Can
BRU do what I want to do? Others?

Ufsdump and friends of course would work nicely for Solaris and Linux, but
the MS boxes limit that choice. I want a one pkg fits all solution. Have
seen
dd imaging mentioned for even imaging MS, seems very cool, but probably
beyond my ability to write a script using it to handle a mixed dynamic net
with
varied MS file systems. (yeah, yeah: "dump MS!" Divorce wife, disown kid...
uh... not an option.  :-)

Thanks much.
Frank Z.