[ale] My Mandrake 7.1 Problem

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Sat Sep 9 11:31:57 EDT 2000

Hello all,
        If you remember, I had accidentally killed all of the files in
the /usr/bin directory and have been trying to repair my installation
since. Reinstalling is not an option. I have restored all of the files
via a manual rpm -Uvh --force of all of the packages missing files. In my
previous email I mentioned 2 problems. One was that my mouse wouldn't
work and another is that sound wouldn't work right. I was able to resolve
the mouse problem this morning and now it works well. Now, my only major
problem (there are still a few minor things) that won't work is the
sound. I've looked through my documentation and have been unable to find
anything on it. Here is what happens when I try to run mpg123 with an mp3
file.

High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
neighbour table overflow
Unable to bind port 16001

        The first time I run it, it gives the table overflow error twice
and no port error, but every time after that, it shows the above errors.
I've tried other sound programs and they haven't worked either. Oh,
related to that, does anyone know why if I tell xmms to play a file it
the progress bar would go quite fast and not play a sound? (This happened
before I screwed up /usr/bin)

Thanks for any tips in advance,
Michael Golden