[ale] Apache scaling on virtual directories

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Fri Sep 8 13:15:27 EDT 2000

On 8 Sep 2000, Fletch wrote:
>         Use mod_perl to write an authen handler.  You'd set the
> handler up just on the top level archive directory and not on the
> individual directories.  The handler would then look at what subdir
> the request was for to determine if access would be allowed.

But then a student enrolled in any class could get into any other classes
list.

Chris Ricker gave me the suggesstion I needed, but had forgotten about.
Instead of annoying every httpd process with all the details, creating a
.htaccess in the directory for each list with the needed auth info works
just fine.  The only down side is that a student in 3 classes needs login
3 times, but cest la vie.

	-Dan